Tuesday, May 29, 2007

William Tell

This is a statue of William Tell and his son in Altdorf. Kacy and I at the lake. This is where William Tell jumped off the boat to save himself.
Today we took the "William Tell Express" to various spots around Altdorf where the story unfolds. We did a lesson with the students about William Tell on the Monday we first arrived in Switzerland so it was a neat opportunity for the story to come to life for the kids. First we stopped to see the William Tell statue, and the kids had to draw the statue. It was raining so that was difficult, but we had fun talking about it.

The next stop was the William Tell Museum. It had lots of pictures and stories about William Tell in the history of Switzerland. He is a hero and very symbolic to the Swiss. The students were encouraged to find 5 things they didn't know about William Tell. We also saw a little video about him. It was really interesting.

The third stop was the place on the lake where Tell jumped off the boat to get away from Gessler. There was a mural on the wall that told the story. The view was beautiful--a lake surrounded by cliffs with a foggy haze hovering over it. The kids had a lot of fun running around down there. Anna and I counted the number of steps from top to bottom--about 76.

The last stop was the field where Gessler was killed. We watched vignettes about the story and listened to a story teller. Then we walked down a path to a tiny Cathedral in honor of William Tell. We all squished inside for a little while then we headed back to Luzern. Most of us got off in Luzern for our last night of shopping. I bought a ton of chocolate to bring back.

It was a wonderful day. I got to hang out with Anna all day so that was fun. She's the cutest and sweetest girl. I can't believe we only have two more days in Switzerland. I'm ready to come home, but I love it here. I really want to come back. Sorry this is so short, but I have to get up early tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have had a great time. Now its time to come back to reality. That's code for JOB.
Can't wait to see you and lok at all your photos.

Be safe. Are you remembering to hold hands when you cross the street?

Love you.

Fritz

Anonymous said...

hey! i'll be praying for your safety as you fly back! have fun the last few days you're there. sounds like you have had a BLAST and you have learned SO much! I'm excited for you! talk to you soon!
love,
bridgette <>< =0)

Rachel said...

Thanks for all of the comments. Fritz, I have had a great time. This has been a wonderful experience. I am holding hands when I cross the street. Bridgette, thanks for commenting so much. You are so sweet. I hope to talk to you soon and hear about what is going on with you!